Humans of LBCC Week 2


Allicia Meyer

“I want to be a nurse practitioner. I’ve always loved helping people. During the summer I volunteered at a camp with kids who have variations of Muscular Dystrophy. Through that, I figured out I wanted to be a nurse practitioner and help people. The disease is very harsh. It affects their muscles by attacking them, so their muscles are slowly dying. You’ll see a lot of these kids are in wheelchairs, some have different braces they have to wear, some have oxygen tanks to breathe, some even need us to suck up their saliva with tubes because they can’t swallow it on their own, some have feeding tubes. It’s very eye-opening. You definitely become more grateful for the things you have and are able to do; but these kids don’t let their disease stop them. They are the most ambitious kids you’ll ever see. They want to do everything.”



Elicia Carlock

“My favorite holiday is Thanksgiving. We don’t have any cool traditions, we just make a lot of food and then hang out; but it’s my favorite. I’m a dessert person. My favorite food on Thanksgiving is Apple Pie. Homemade. It’s my grandma’s recipe. My mom and I are the only ones who know it. It’s our favorite.” So what is this secret recipe? Well, I did ask her if there was a secret ingredient that may be unexpected, but she was adamant about not giving any secrets away. Good answer, Elicia. Grandma would be proud. Speaking of her family, what does Thanksgiving usually look like? “It’s a pretty big family, but usually for holidays it’s just my grandparents, my mom and dad, and I. I just like going home to see my family. That’s why Christmas is my second favorite.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Benton County Courthouse Vigil

Humans of LBCC Week 1

Forum Week 7