Forum Post Week Three

     This week, I photographed the Dollar Clothing Sale that was near the Library. I was really interested in this event because I love the idea of thrifting clothes in order to support fellow students, but also help keep the environment clean by using pre-loved clothing. I did some shopping before taking my photos so I was a little more comfortable in the environment.
     It was a little difficult to take pictures of people because they were constantly moving: playing with the clothes, folding things, searching. The good thing is people weren't focusing on the fact I had a camera because they were so preoccupied. The most difficult part was the medium shot because there was so much going on, and when I thought I had the perfect frame, my subjects weren't facing me. A little bit of a bust for sure, but the picture is still nice, I just don't have their faces, which is pretty disappointing. I definitely approached this assignment by talking to people volunteering and just wandering around, looking at the clothes myself so people were comfortable with me being there, and I just stood around and tried to make people comfortable by talking and smiling.
     If I could do this again, I would definitely make sure my medium shot had faces. I was so preoccupied thinking about who I was going to photograph for my closeup and where I was going to stand for my overall that I wasn't even thinking about getting their faces. I think I would also stay a little longer. I stayed about 45 minutes, and I would have had more to choose from for my medium shot if I had stayed longer.
     Ultimately, I think my photos turned out really good. I've never taken photos before this class, so I'm very proud of my improvement so far. It's hard not to be too tough on myself because everyone around me is so good and I feel like I'm way far behind, but I think when I focus on myself, I'm proud of how far I've come in such a short amount of time. I'm getting more comfortable behind the camera, and I'm getting better about the settings. Composition is definitely something I need to work on, but I'm getting there.

     My best photo for this class was definitely the close up for this assignment. Ms. Cox's expression is so authentic and she hadn't realized I was photographing her yet, so I really caught her in a genuine moment. I'm very proud of this photo. She was folding jeans and I was just thinking to myself, this is such a good, natural moment. I have to get this.

     My worst photo would be from the first week of Humans of LBCC. I took it with my phone, and the lighting was absolutely horrible. The kid I was interviewing, Damon, was sitting in front of a window, so the light was behind him and it made the photo way too dark and the composition was just terrible. 

     I definitely should improve the composition of my photos. I'm still trying to get really comfortable behind the camera. Figuring out where to go to get the best shots is quite complicated, but I'm getting there. The best photos I've taken are of my cat, and they're super close photos. If I can get comfortable with larger frames, I think that would improve the overall effect of my photos.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Benton County Courthouse Vigil

Humans of LBCC Week 1

Week 4 Forum